Course number: 085091
Course length: 4.0 day(s)
Course Objective: You will describe the various testing principles and concepts with special focus on the Certified Software Tester (CSTE) examination objectives.
Target Student: This course is intended for software testing professionals appearing for the Certified Software Tester (CSTE) examination.
Prerequisites: No specific prerequisites are necessary; however, familiarity with the software development practices and basic principles of software testing will be helpful. Suggested Element K course: Introduction to Software Life Cycle Models.
Classroom setup requires one computer for the instructor. Students do not require computers. The instructor’s computer should have the following hardware configured:
- Intel® Pentium® IV 300 MHz processor
- 64 MB of RAM with 1.0 GB of free hard disk space
- CD-ROM drive
- Super VGA recommended (set at least to 800 x 600 screen resolution) with 256 colors
- An Internet connection
- A projection system to display slides from the instructor’s computer.
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows® XP SP 3
- Microsoft® PowerPoint® 2000 or later. Or you can use the PowerPoint viewer application provided with the course data files to display the slides.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify the characteristics of software testing.
- explain the software test process.
- explain the various levels of software testing.
- identify the various testing techniques to determine software quality.
- describe the various test case design techniques that determine software quality.
- describe various tasks involved in planning and estimating tests.
- handle risks during software testing.
- identify the various strategies of developing and implementing tests to assess the quality of a software product.
- describe various tasks involved in creating effective test reports.
- identify the various factors required to build an effective test environment.
- identify the various skills required to effectively manage a test project.
- describe the various tasks involved in testing software developed by external organizations.
- describe security requirements that must be enforced while developing and testing software in order to ensure the overall security of software systems.
- explain the strategies employed while testing newer technologies.
Lesson 1: Understanding Software Testing
- Topic 1A: Understand the Importance of Testing
- Topic 1B: Identify Quality Parameters
- Topic 1C: Identify Factors That Affect Software Quality
- Topic 1D: Identify Quality Assessment Standards and Models
Lesson 2: Understanding the Test Process
- Topic 2A: Identify Test Phases
- Topic 2B: Understand the Testing Workbench Process
- Topic 2C: Understand the Incident Life Cycle
- Topic 2D: Identify Test Documents
Lesson 3: Understanding Test Levels
- Topic 3A: Understand Component Testing
- Topic 3B: Understand Integration Testing
- Topic 3C: Understand System Testing
- Topic 3D: Understand Acceptance Testing
Lesson 4: Understanding Testing Techniques
- Topic 4A: Identify Structural Testing Techniques
- Topic 4B: Identify Functional Testing Techniques
Lesson 5: Examining Test Case Design Techniques
- Topic 5A: Identify Structure-Based Test Design Techniques
- Topic 5B: Identify Specification-Based Test Design Techniques
- Topic 5C: Identify Experience-Based Test Design Techniques
Lesson 6: Planning and Estimating Tests
- Topic 6A: Create a Test Plan
- Topic 6B: Estimate Testing Effort
Lesson 7: Handling Risks in Software
- Topic 7A: Identify Software Risks
- Topic 7B: Manage Risks
Lesson 8: Implementing Tests
- Topic 8A: Understand the Test Development Process
- Topic 8B: Create Test Cases
- Topic 8C: Describe Test Metrics
- Topic 8D: Analyze Defect Management
Lesson 9: Reporting on Tests
- Topic 9A: Define Test Metrics for Test Reports
- Topic 9B: Identify Test Reporting Tools
- Topic 9C: Create Test Reports
- Topic 9D: Perform Test Closure Activities
Lesson 10: Building a Test Environment
- Topic 10A: Identify Management Responsibilities
- Topic 10B: Understand Testing Work Processes
- Topic 10C: Manage Test Administration
Lesson 11: Managing a Test Project
- Topic 11A: Identify Skills Required to Supervise a Test Project
- Topic 11B: Identify the Leadership Skills Required to Manage a Project
- Topic 11C: Introduce Test Tools in an Organization
Lesson 12: Testing Software Developed by External Organizations
- Topic 12A: Analyze the COTS Software Test Process
- Topic 12B: Analyze the Contracted Software Test Process
Lesson 13: Evaluating Security Requirements
- Topic 13A: Analyze Internal Controls
- Topic 13B: Assess Security Awareness
Lesson 14: Testing Products Developed Using Newer Technologies
- Topic 14A: Analyze the Impact of Implementing Newer Technologies
- Topic 14B: Analyze the Challenges of Testing Newer Technologies
Appendix A: CSTE Certification Mapping