Course number: 085187
Course length: 5.0 day(s)
Course Objective: You will gain knowledge of storage concepts, components, and the ability to work on a storage networking environment.
Target Student: This course is targeted at network or system administrators whose responsibilities include working with and supporting various storage technologies; storage professionals who have a minimum of 12 months hands-on technical storage experience; or IT Managers who need a thorough understanding of current storage technologies.
Prerequisites: Students taking this course should have basic computer skills with knowledge in any operating system and familiarity with network components. In addition, we recommend that they hold the CompTIA® A+®, CompTIA® Network+®, or CompTIA® Server+® certification or have equivalent skills and knowledge. Students can take the following Element K courses:
- CompTIA® A+® Certification: A Comprehensive Approach for All 2009 Exam Objectives (Windows® 7)
- CompTIA® Network+® (Exam N10-005)
- CompTIA® Server+® Certification (2009 Objectives)
For this course, you will need one instructor computer. Student computers are optional and are only needed to run the course assessments from the interactive CD-ROM. The instructor computer will need the following minimum hardware configuration:
- PC with Intel® Pentium® IV 1 GHz processor or higher
- 1 GB of RAM or higher
- DVD-ROM drive
- Generic monitor (1024 x 768)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Display system to project the instructor’s computer screen
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows® 7.
- Microsoft® Office 2003 or later on the instructor’s computer (only Microsoft® Office PowerPoint is required for this course).
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- examine the fundamentals of storage and network technologies.
- describe physical networking hardware.
- examine disk technologies.
- identify removable media technologies.
- describe modular storage arrays and disk enclosures.
- examine storage network connectors and cabling.
- describe storage architectures.
- describe Ethernet network technologies.
- describe an FC SAN.
- describe storage management.
- describe storage network implementation.
- identify storage virtualization concepts, technologies, and techniques.
- examine storage network management.
- evaluate storage performance.
- describe storage network security.
Lesson 1: Exploring Storage and Networking Fundamentals
- Topic 1A: Storage Basics
- Topic 1B: Describe Network Basics
- Topic 1C: Identify Network Data Delivery Techniques
Lesson 2: Describing Physical Networking Hardware
- Topic 2A: Describe Networking Hardware
- Topic 2B: Examine HBA/NIC/PCI Technology
Lesson 3: Examining Disk Technologies
- Topic 3A: Examine Disk Fundamentals
- Topic 3B: Describe SATA Technology
- Topic 3C: Describe SCSI/iSCSI Technologies
- Topic 3D: Describe SAS Technology
- Topic 3E: Describe the Fibre Channel Architecture
- Topic 3F: Describe the RAID System
Lesson 4: Identifying Removable Media Technologies
- Topic 4A: Describe Tape Technologies
- Topic 4B: Describe Optical Disc and SSD Technologies
Lesson 5: Describing Modular Storage Arrays and Disk Enclosures
- Topic 5A: Describe Modular Storage Array Technologies
- Topic 5B: Describe Disk Enclosures
Lesson 6: Examining Storage Network Connectors and Cabling
- Topic 6A: Describe Copper Cable Connectivity
- Topic 6B: Describe Fiber Cable Connectivity
Lesson 7: Describing Storage Architectures
- Topic 7A: Describe the DAS Architecture
- Topic 7B: Describe the NAS Architecture
- Topic 7C: Describe the SAN Architecture
- Topic 7D: Describe Content Addressable Storage Technologies
Lesson 8: Describing Ethernet Network Technologies
- Topic 8A: Describe Ethernet Networks
- Topic 8B: Multipath over Ethernet Networks
- Topic 8C: Protocols on Ethernet Networks
Lesson 9: Describing an FC SAN
- Topic 9A: Describe the FC SAN Architecture
- Topic 9B: Describe Zones
- Topic 9C: Describe Fabric Services and Extension Technologies
- Topic 9D: Describe Converged Storage Network Technologies
- Topic 9E: Describe Multipathing Issues
Lesson 10: Describing Storage Management
- Topic 10A: Execute Storage Provisioning
- Topic 10B: Describe Volume Management
- Topic 10C: Monitor Storage Networks
- Topic 10D: Describe Storage De-duplication and Compression
- Topic 10E: Describe Management Protocols and Interfaces
- Topic 10F: Examine ILM
Lesson 11: Describing Storage Network Implementation
- Topic 11A: Identify Implementation Parameters of SAS/SATA
- Topic 11B: Describe Storage Networks That Use Switch Technology
- Topic 11C: Describe Storage Networks That Use HBA Technology
- Topic 11D: Describe Storage Layouts
- Topic 11E: Examine Storage Network Implementation Environmental Concerns
- Topic 11F: Examine Implementation and Maintenance Factors of Storage Equipment
Lesson 12: Introducing Storage Virtualization
- Topic 12A: Describe Storage Virtualization
- Topic 12B: Describe Storage Virtualization Implementation
- Topic 12C: Describe the SNIA Shared Storage Model
Lesson 13: Examining Storage Network Management
- Topic 13A: Describe Storage Network Management
- Topic 13B: Describe SAN Management
- Topic 13C: Troubleshoot Common Network Problems
- Topic 13D: Troubleshoot Common FC Problems
Lesson 14: Evaluating Storage Performance
- Topic 14A: Identify Storage Latency and Throughput
- Topic 14B: Examine Tuning and Workload Balance
- Topic 14C: Evaluate Storage Device Bandwidth
- Topic 14D: Evaluate Network Device Bandwidth
- Topic 14E: Evaluate Storage and Host Tools
Lesson 15: Securing Storage Networks
- Topic 15A: Describe Storage Security
- Topic 15B: Manage Storage Redundancy
- Topic 15C: Examine Backup and Recovery Technologies
- Topic 15D: Describe Business Continuity
Appendix A: Mapping Course Content to the CompTIA® Storage+® Powered by SNIA® (Exam SG0-001) Exam ObjectivesAppendix B: CompTIA® Storage+® Acronyms