Course number: 085019
Software: AltovaXML 2008
Course length: 1.0 day(s)
Welcome to the XML: DTD and Schema Development course. You have been introduced to XML and its various technologies and you worked with XML documents. XML documents with similar structures are easier to understand and maintain data. DTDs and schemas help you to validate the structure of an XML document. In this course, you will learn how to develop DTD and schema documents.
Course Objective: You will create XML validating documents using DTDs and schemas.
Target Student: This course is intended for individuals such as entry-level XML developers and analysts.
Prerequisites: Students must possess basic XML skills. To that end we recommend they take our XML: An Introduction (4th Edition) course.
Delivery Method: Instructor led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured hands-on activities.
- PC with a Pentium® processor, 133 MHz or higher.
- A minimum of 128 MB of RAM is recommended.
- A minimum of 1.0 GB hard drive is recommended.
- A CD-ROM drive.
- Super VGA recommended (set at least to 800 x 600 screen resolution) with 256 colors.
- Microsoft® Windows® XP.
- WMHelp XmlPad® 188.8.131.52.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6 or later.
- Java 1.5 Runtime Environment or later.
- AltovaXML® 2008.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify the basic principles of DTD design and validation.
- create a DTD.
- identify the basic principles of XML schema design and validation.
- create a schema document.
- restrict the value of XML elements.
- Lesson 1: Getting Started with DTDs
- Topic 1A: Introduction to DTDs
- Topic 1B: Overview of DTD Design
- Topic 1C: Validate an XML Document with DTDs
- Lesson 2: Creating a DTD
- Topic 2A: Declare Elements in a DTD
- Topic 2B: Declare Attributes in a DTD
- Topic 2C: Create Entities
- Topic 2D: Create Modular DTDs
- Lesson 3: Getting Started with XML Schemas
- Topic 3A: Introduction to XML Schemas
- Topic 3B: Validate an XML Document with a Schema
- Lesson 4: Creating a Schema Document
- Topic 4A: Create Basic Schema Elements
- Topic 4B: Add Attribute Elements to a Schema Document
- Topic 4C: Create Attribute Groups
- Topic 4D: Create Modular Schemas
- Topic 4E: Create Additional Schema Elements
- Lesson 5: Restricting the Value of XML Elements
- Topic 5A: Maintain Unique Values in XML Elements
- Topic 5B: Restrict Values of XML Elements with Facets