Course number: 084395
Course length: 1.0 day(s)
Course Objective: You will use Adobe Illustrator CS5 to create illustrations that include graphics and text.
Target Student: This course is intended for designers, publishers, pre-press professionals, marketing communications professionals, or people switching to a design job or taking on design responsibilities and who need to use Illustrator to create illustrations, logos, advertisements, or other graphic documents.
Prerequisites: Before taking this course, students should be familiar with the basic functions of their computer’s operating system such as creating folders, launching programs, and working with windows. Students should also have basic Windows application skills, such as copying and pasting objects, formatting text, saving files, and so on.
Familiarity with basic design terminology, such as palettes, color modes, shapes, text, and paths is highly recommended.
- Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel® Centrino®, Intel® Xeon®, or Intel® Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor
- 1.8 GB hard-disk space to install software, and an additional 500 MB to run the course. Color monitor with 16-bit or greater video card; 24-bit color recommended
- 1024 x 768 monitor resolution or higher CD-ROM drive
- A display system to project the instructor’s computer screen
- An active Internet connection with Internet Explorer version 3.0 or later
- CD-ROM drive
- A printer (optional) or an installed printer driver
Each computer requires the following software:
- Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2
- Adobe® Illustrator® CS5
- Adobe® Reader® 8.0
- Adobe® Flash® Player
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer®
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- get acquainted with the Adobe Illustrator CS5 application.
- create shapes in a document.
- create custom paths.
- work with text in an Illustrator document.
- work with objects.
- enhance documents.
- proof documents to make them more accurate.
- save images for web and print.
- Lesson 1: Getting Acquainted with Adobe® Illustrator® CS5
- Topic 1A: Examine Imaging Concepts
- Topic 1B: Explore the Interface
- Topic 1C: Customize the Interface
- Lesson 2: Creating Shapes in a Document
- Topic 2A: Create a Document
- Topic 2B: Draw Basic Shapes
- Topic 2C: Save a Document
- Lesson 3: Creating Custom Paths
- Topic 3A: Draw Paths
- Topic 3B: Modify Paths
- Lesson 4: Working with Text
- Topic 4A: Insert Text
- Topic 4B: Flow Text on a Path
- Topic 4C: Import Body Text
- Topic 4D: Format Text with Styles
- Topic 4E: Thread Text
- Topic 4F: Apply Hyphenation
- Topic 4G: Insert Typographic Characters
- Lesson 5: Working with Objects
- Topic 5A: Import Graphics
- Topic 5B: Manipulate Objects
- Lesson 6: Enhancing Documents
- Topic 6A: Format Objects
- Topic 6B: Apply Strokes
- Topic 6C: Apply Gradients
- Topic 6D: Apply Graphic Styles
- Topic 6E: Apply an Envelope to Text
- Lesson 7: Proofing a Document
- Topic 7A: Wrap Text
- Topic 7B: Find and Replace Text
- Topic 7C: Fix Spelling Errors
- Lesson 8: Saving Images for the Web and Print
- Topic 8A: Export Images for Print
- Topic 8B: Save Images for the Web
- Topic 8C: Save Images as PDFs